Study Finds FOX News Viewers Are Misinformed
Matt | On 21, Dec 2010
The headline of this post doesn’t really move me at all. In fact, I feel like I’m playing a sad game of “State The Obvious.”
World Public Opinion conducted a study that found that those who watched FOX primarily were the most misinformed among all of those who consume news from a variety of sources.
Here are a few of the news items that FOX viewers got WRONG in the survey. The percentage points represent the additional amount of people who believed these falsehoods.
- Most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely)
- Most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points)
- The economy is getting worse (26 points)
- Most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points)
- The stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points)
- Their own income taxes have gone up (14 points)
- The auto bailout only occurred under President Obama (13 points)
- When TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points)
- It is not clear that President Obama was born in the United States (31 points)
All of these points are either false or skewed truths at best. But, the survey found that faithful FOX viewers bought these “facts” lock, stock, and barrel. The odd thing was that the misinformed viewers weren’t just Republicans, as we have been led to believe. Democrats who watched FOX regularly picked up some of this madness as well. How sad…
So, that leads me to believe that FOX is pretty powerful in getting people to believe its stories. This is dangerous. Knowing that “propaganda” from one cable news channel alone could rule in today’s age of segmented media is not a good look. There are so many choices, yet so many people gravitate to one misleading source.
I’m NOT going to go as far as others and call FOX viewers stupid. I don’t believe that. I do believe that FOX is presenting their information in such a way that makes it super easy to believe items that are being repeated over and over again.
The moral of the story is STAY INFORMED, PEOPLE!!! Diversify yourselves and your news outlets.