Obama Gives Away Every Red Cent of Nobel Money
Matt | On 11, Mar 2010
President Obama announced where his $1.4 million winnings from the Nobel Peace Prize will go.
Though, these are some great charities on the list below, he left off a major one. Donations are always being accepted at the Prune Juice Media Foundation. The revenue goes to help a poor, deserving (albeit hardworking) blogger keep the lights on and the bills paid. Trust me, not a DIME of the money will go to waste! I’m just saying…
Anyway, here’s the quick list of where POTUS is sending the cash:
- Fisher House = $250,000 (Housing for military families at VA hospitals)
- Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund = $200,000 (Haiti earthquake relief)
- College Summit = $125,000 (College prep for elementary and middle school students)
- Posse Foundaton = $125,000 (College scholarships for leaders in public high schools)
- United Negro College Fund = $125,000 (African-American higher education)
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund = $125, 000 (Hispanic higher education)
- Appalachian Leadership and Education Foundation = $125,000 (Appalachian higher education)
- American Indian College Fund = $125,000 (American Indian higher education and culture preservation)
- AfriCare = $100,000 (HIV/AIDS, food, and water needs in sub-Saharan Africa)
- Central Asia Institute = $100,000 (Education and literacy for girls in Afghanistan and Pakistan)
I like the spread and diversity of the list. Notice that military families (i.e., one of Mo-Bama’s biggest projects) got the most money. I’ve heard some great things about the Posse Foundation and I always like to hear YOUNG kids getting involved in college prep (i.e., College Summit). Great job!