State of the Union Address (The PJM Recap)
Matt | On 28, Jan 2010
Last night, I watched the entire State of the Union address. I have to say that I was pleased with POTUS’s overall delivery and how he touched on many subjects of concern. He was real about the setbacks of the Administration and how BOTH PARTIES need to clean up their acts and work together for the American people. It’s sad, though, that I don’t believe that’s going to happen anytime soon. But hey, who am I?
Here’s some highlights of interest to me, and most likely you, if you have any remote concern with this government:
- A new jobs bill. We needed this two years ago. When college grads contemplate selling illegal substances vs. using their new degrees, it’s a problem! Again, when you’re thinking about throwing “the pole” on your resume .. we need JOBS!!
- Infrastructure investment, including high-speed rail. Sounds good to me! It puts people to work. Sitting at home watching Wendy, judge shows, and Oprah gets old after awhile.
- $10K tax credit for four years of college and increased Pell grants. With the crazy cost of school these days, a $10K credit might cover JUST your books. LOL. I like this idea, though.
- Ending the war and bringing home all troops (starting in 2011). We needed Obama, or SOMEONE with some sense, back in 2002 when this mess started! Please don’t get me going on these wars.
- Repeal of the “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” policy against gays in the military. This is a long overdue death of one of the dumbest policies I have heard of. I couldn’t explain to a 3rd-grader why this is in place.
- Crackdown on violations of equal pay laws for women. Again, do we even have to say this OUT LOUD?! It almost insults my intelligence to figure out why there isn’t equal pay for the ladies. They do have the right to vote, correct? Just checking on these archaic laws…
- Slash tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas. State the obvious! People need jobs HERE just like everywhere else.
- Energy and climate bill. This country needs to put on its proverbial nicotine patch and quit polluting! I don’t like 120-degree summers. THANKS!
- Continue fixing the broken immigration system. With Lou Dobbs gone from CNN, who the hell else is going to keep this issue ALIVE??? Yes Congress, add this to your to-do list!
By the end of the SOTU, to be honest, I was TIRED! I’m all for being involved in the political process, but there’s no way I’m with all that stand/sit/stand/sit/sit/stand/clap/boo/stand. I watched Obama while planted right on the couch stuffing my face. If Michelle barely stands, then I’m gonna follow her lead.
Feel free to let us know what you liked/disliked about the SOTU speech. For those that missed it, you can watch the video and read the entire text of the speech here.