Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Prune Juice Media | December 9, 2016

Scroll to top

Top

One Comment

First Lady Discusses Military Families on ‘Oprah’

| On 27, Jan 2011

First lady Michelle Obama appeared on 'Oprah' on January 27 to discuss the needs of military families in the U.S. (Photo courtesy of Oprah.com)

First lady Michelle Obama made an appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show today to help shed light on the issue of military families. She was joined by former journalist Tom Brokaw and Washington Post Associate Editor Bob Woodward.

Mrs. Obama was in Chicago as an extension of President Obama’s State of the Union speech on Tuesday. She has personally made the plight of military families her signature service in the White House. During the show, she helped tell the story of her “hero” – a military wife at Fort Bragg, N.C. whose husband has been on several deployments to the Middle East.

The main issue is that America seems to have forgotten about its debt to military service personnel, veterans, and their families. In the current Middle East wars, only 1% of the nation is serving. They carry the burden for the other 99% of the country. It’s really not fair. What’s even harder are the stories told by wives, children, and families left behind wondering about the condition in which their loved one will return.

The first lady announced that she and Dr. Jill Biden, the vice president’s wife, will be launching a major campaign in March to draw the nation’s attention back to military families. Until then, you can visit Serve.gov for more information on how you can be of assistance, big or small, to military families.

Submit a Comment