Good News .. Jobless Claims Take a Tumble
Matt | On 10, Feb 2011
Economists say that jobs are coming back slowly to Americans. Take the latest weekly evidence of jobless claims as a small sign that things MIGHT be improving. (Notice, I said MIGHT.)
Here are some of the latest quick stats:
- Jobless claims at the state level are now at 383,000 for last week. That’s the lowest weekly amount since July 2008.
- Jobless claims fell 36,000 from the week prior.
- The four-week average of jobless claims shows a decline of 16,000.
- Economists say that the job market is headed in the right direction of claims can stay below 400,000/week.
- 4.63 million people receive federal unemployment benefits. The feds are picking up the slack when people fall off of their state’s unemployment rolls.
So, what does that mean for you if you’re sitting at home unemployed? There may be hope for you finding another position. You have to embody what it means to hustle your way into your next job.
But, don’t be fooled by the numbers. This economy is ROUGH. People are dropping out of the market altogether. Unemployment in minority communities is sometimes double (triple for black men) the national figures. This recession is still alive, unfortunately.
I still sometimes think that sliding down a pole as a viable career isn’t THAT bad of an option for me … AND I WORK! lol…