Political Theatrics Highlight the MSNBC GOP Debate
Matt | On 08, Sep 2011
Last night was the much-hyped GOP presidential debate live from the Ronald Reagan Library in California.
The dramatics were there. They included a beautiful and scenic backdrop, an engaged audience, and the spirit of the man every Republican salivates over … Ronald Reagan. If they could have held a seance to have him speak from the podium they would have tried. Instead, they held the debate under the wing of the plane he used while in office.
I encourage you to watch the video above for specifics about the debate. It was funny, sad, mind-blowing, and interesting all in one evening. The candidates, however, are mainly still the same … holding some hard-line positions that don’t make sense to me while spewing recycled talking points.
Here are a few takeaways from the debate:
- Rick Perry, though arguably the most popular candidate, didn’t live up to the hype on stage. He gave several non-answers and even had a few WTF moments (i.e., the Galileo tidbit). However, he seemed more presidential, so there’s still hope for him.
- Michele Bachmann really sat on the sidelines on this debate. I was surprised. The entry of Perry to the race has set her back big-time. In my eyes, she never was an “electable” candidate.
- The media has tried to discredit Mitt Romney, but he held his own against Perry. He was not falling for Perry’s Texas vs. Massachusetts set-up.
- The conservative obsession with Ronald Reagan is at a fever pitch. It MUST. STOP. NOW!!!
- Rick Perry thinks social security is a Ponzi scheme. There went his elderly vote.
- Ron Paul is officially America’s drunk, complaining uncle who happens to be a licensed physician. He believes in getting rid of government altogether, though he wants a job in it. It makes no sense.
- Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich …. who are they again??? I forgot they were onstage last night, seriously.
- Everyone wants to take credit for “creating jobs.” It’s a lie. They didn’t do it and cannot knock the president for not doing it either.
- The Republicans on that stage don’t genuinely seem to care about the poor. Did anyone else here that field of crickets chirping during their answer to the question about the poor?
- The weirdest commercial ever appeared on TV during the debate. It’s most likely not in the video above. It was for a group called Californians for Population Stabilization. They not only oppose illegal immigration, but legal as well. What in all hell?
- The audience, probably made up of serial killers and Freddy Krueger enthusiasts, clapped harder for Rick Perry’s hardline stance on the death penalty than they did for bringing the troops home. It had to be the lowest point of the debate. WTF??? O___O
- The debate ended so abruptly that I was expecting the lights to go off and the Sandman from “Showtime at the Apollo” to come and sweep everyone off the stage.
Enjoy the video! Share your thoughts with us in the comments section.