President Obama Delivers Update on Afghanistan
Matt | On 23, Jun 2011
On Wednesday night, President Obama addressed the nation with somewhat of a progress report on military operations in Afghanistan.
Here is the long and short of what the Commander-In-Chief had to say:
- We are pulling out 10,000 “surge” troops from Afghanistan by the end of 2011.
- The other 23,000 “surge” troops will be gone from there by summer 2012.
- The remaining soldiers beyond 2012 will throw up the peace sign to Afghanistan by 2014.
- We are a broke nation, but we still need to finish this unnecessary war that George W. Bush started 10 years ago. The job ain’t done yet.
- If you are sick and tired of this war, the federal government needs you to hang in there a little while longer until the job is “finished.”
One quote that I loved and truly agree with from the speech is, “We need to start nation-building here at home.” That is so very accurate because as an American citizen I really feel like our nation has been ignored on so many levels by the government. We are a giving nation, but you cannot be of service to others if you’re not strong on the homefront.
I guarantee this. The Democratic base (and even some Republicans) are not going to be happy with this speech. It feels like we have heard this time and time again. Meanwhile, the U.S. is scheduled to hit its debt ceiling in about seven weeks from spending that doesn’t even begin to cover these wars. ::major sigh::