Recap of Pres. Obama’s Jobs Speech to Congress
Matt | On 08, Sep 2011
President Obama arrived on Capitol Hill on Thursday evening ready to play to win. He was energized and ready to get testy with Republicans as he presented an overview of the American Jobs Act.
Unfortunately, it was the same ole shit from Republicans that we see time and time again. If Obama says black, they want white. If he goes up, they go down. This is exactly why nothing gets done in Washington. Everyone is so worried about keeping their jobs so they can continue to do NOTHING!
So, it was the usual clapping from Democrats and crickets from Republicans. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) looked like his dog died right there while the president was talking. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) at times looked like he was sitting on the shitter in front of the American people. Just pitiful and sad.
Beyond the obvious personnel issues in the audience, there was a speech. The highlights of the American Jobs Act are:
- Tax breaks for small business … the real job creators of the economy
- Focus on hiring 4,000 teachers
- Putting construction workers back on the job to make badly needed infrastructure repairs across the country
- Companies get a $4,000 tax credit for hiring someone who has been unemployed for six or more months.
- Working families get a $1,500 tax cut in 2012
- Repairs and upgrades to 35,000 schools
- Public/private transportation fund to address projects in order of greatest need
- Tax credits for companies that hire American veterans
- Additional budget cuts beyond the $1.5 trillion agreed on in early August with the debt ceiling increase in order to pay for his plan.
Click here to read the entire text of the president’s jobs plan address to Congress.
Now let’s be honest. The final legislation is not going to be this ambitious. The president is NOT a lawmaker and he will need Congress to do their jobs and pass this. We already know that Republicans are going to screw over the American people and dilute this.
I understand that a president cannot “create jobs,” but I think at least some of this plan creates an environment where companies can put people back to work. The current GOP plans of cutbacks and tax cutting our way to prosperity haven’t worked for over a decade. Something must change now.
**ANSWER IN THE COMMENTS SECTION BELOW**
What do YOU think of the American Jobs Act unveiled by President Obama?